Suffering from Winter Blues also known as Seasonal Affective Disorder(SAD)? If yes, then it seems that your smile is dropping along with the temperature! Which is a reaction to reduced sunlight. The good news is, YOU CAN BEAT IT! And here’s how:
- Take a walk down the sunny side: Sunlight will help you decrease your SAD symptoms while benefiting from Vitamin D and burning some calories.
- Stay lean when it comes to protein: Protein boosts your energy and metabolism to beat that fatigue. Great sources are: Eggs, soy products, white poultry and seafood.
- Watch your Omega-3: Load yourself with Omega-3, the mood lifter fatty acid, that helps combat moderate and mild symptoms of depression. Best sources are: Salmons, walnuts, flaxseed, chia seeds and spinach.
- Reach for berries: Although the intake of all kind of fruits is important, yet berries in this case gives an extra bit of assistance. Cortisol is secreted when you become stressed, which in turn can increase the feeling of depression and exhaustion. However, strawberries, raspberries and blueberries can inhibit the cortisol release, making you feel better and energetic.
- Limit your sugar and simple carbs intake: Simple carbs, sugary food and drinks might give a temporary little happy feeling and boost, but as insulin kicks in, you will easily drop down to a low level of energy and a gloomy mood again. Instead aim for complex carbs: Whole grains, beans, peas, lentils, corn, potatoes and sweet potatoes.
- Go dark green: A healthy salad can ease the unwanted seasonal depression. Dark green leafy vegetables, like spinach, broccoli, and kale, are great sources of folate and vitamin B12, which boost Serotonin, the happiness hormone.
- Look for bananas: Bananas are great source of tryptophan that helps calm and relax your brain. In addition, bananas are rich in potassium and magnesium, which enhances sleep and reduces anxiety.
- Switch to dark chocolate: Rich in antioxidant, which can make you feel happier relieving anxiety and depression. For a lower sugar content choose the 70% plus cocoa chocolate.
- Reduce your caffeine intake: Excessive caffeine intake can suppress your happiness hormone, thus increasing the seasonal depression symptoms.
Let’s indulge on these healthy tips to get through the Seasonal Affective Disorder.